The mail slot for the Tipografia Poliglotta Vaticana (Vatican Polyglot Press) in Vatican City. Photo by Curtis G. Pepper, 1966, in The Pope’s Back Yard. A Vatican press was first established by Pope Sixtus V in 1587 for the printing of the Vulgate, the writings of the Fathers, and other Vatican publications. The Vatican Polyglot Press became the Vatican Press in 1991. It prints acts of the Pope and official documents of Holy See dicasteries (departments of the Roman Curia) as well as art publications for the Vatican Museums and the Vatican Apostolic Library. A special section publishes the Holy See’s newspaper.